Independent Study Program
In Lucia Mar, we know that "one size fits all" doesn't work when it comes to education. Our Independent Study Program is an alternative school environment, independent from the classroom with flexible instructional methods for motivated learners.
The Independent Study Program is for kindergarten through twelfth-grade students. The program provides a comprehensive education to students with unique learning styles and talents. Classroom study does not work for every student and for some of those students, our Independent Study Program is a great fit.
Our newly, redesigned program is located in Arroyo Grande on the Mesa at 1065 Mesa View Drive. Students in Independent Study follow the district’s curriculum map and pacing. However, the Independent Study staff provides a learning environment that adjusts to meet the individual educational goals and needs of each student. While in the program, students engage in a variety of projects that serve to make their learning experience enriching and meaningful.
Why Independent Study?
- Flexible Schedule
- In person, one-on-one meetings with teachers
- On-site work time- opportunities for a modified school day/alternative school environment, students can work on campus for part of or the whole day
- Support and guidance for elementary families to help them educate their children
- Can be flexible in both schedule and learning methods
- Courses to fulfill graduation and A-G requirements
- 5 Certificated Teachers
- On-Site Tutoring
- Technology Available at the School
- Free Public Education
- The facility itself is fantastic with an onsite gym and kitchen
- Be a part of a school community, with the individualized learning
As part of Lucia Mar, students can still take part in their school of attendance activities. This means, PE classes, assemblies, field trips, sports, and more, are all available to our Independent Study Program students.
- Projects are focused on students' individual interests
- Students can fulfill graduation requirements and graduate prepared for college
- Students can get college credit while enrolled in Independent Study
How Can I Register?
Students in Independent Study are required to apply and to be accepted into the program. Applications can be picked up at the students’ home school. At the elementary level, please speak with the principal. At the middle and high school levels, please speak with a counselor. A contract outlining attendance requirements as well as academic progress is also required.
For more information please contact:
Spencer Finkle, Lead Teacher
Jennifer Bowen, Principal