How do this year’s test results compare to previous years?
These tests cannot be compared to any standardized tests from years past, because they are too fundamentally different. The new tests are computer adaptive, more personalized, and measure a wider range of skills and knowledge than previous pencil-paper tests. More importantly, the new tests are a better measurement of the critical thinking skills and depth of knowledge needed to succeed in college and in the workforce.
This year’s test results represent a new starting point for student achievement – in other words, we’ve hit the reset button and provided a new baseline for measuring students’ growth from here.
How will results be used by colleges and universities?
For 11th-grade students, results are used for the Early Assessment Program (EAP), which is used by the California State University (CSU) system and some community colleges to determine whether a student is ready for college-level English and math courses. Student scores are also used to exempt students from some placement tests. More info:https://www.calstate.edu/eap/
At this time, no public higher education system in California uses the EAP results for admission.
How do these assessments tie in with the new standards and the state’s new school funding formula?
The new assessments are part of a larger plan for ensuring high-quality teaching and learning in every school. The plan also includes higher academic standards, more decision-making in the hands of schools and communities, and more resources dedicated to schools and to students with the greatest needs.
What happened to the API?
The Academic Performance Index (API) for schools and districts has been suspended until at least fall of 2016, so there will be no API scores calculated from this year’s tests. Parents will still get score reports for their students.
California Education Code now requires the calculation of the API to be based on multiple measures and not only on annual assessments.
According to the law, no more than 60 percent of API can be based on assessment results. The remaining 40 percent needs to be based on other college and career indicators, including college entrance exams, accelerated coursework, attendance, graduation rates, early indicators of college readiness, innovative measures, course taking behaviors, and career preparedness.