Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How do I change my Windows and Google passwords?
- What are my Windows and Google logins?
- What is the account retention policy?
- How do I connect to Wi-Fi?
- How do I make the Gmail window larger when writing emails?
- How do I use Distributions lists and Google Groups?
- How do I retrieve emails from Netmail?
Your Google password is automatically kept in sync with your district password (also known as the domain password, or AD password). To ensure identical passwords, please change your district password from a district computer, and the new password will automatically be pushed to Google.
Changing Windows password:
1) Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Change a password.
2) Type your old password, type your new password, type your new password again to confirm it, and then press Enter.
3) New password takes effect for Windows immediately and Google within 5 minutes.
4) Please remember to change the password on any mobile device where you access district Google resources.
Password Complexity Requirements: A password must be at least 8 characters long and be comprised of at least one upper case character, one lower case character, one special character (e.g. ! @ % ), and a number. Your name (first or last) cannot be used in the password. For a more technical description of the password complexity requirement, please see Tech FAQ 17.
Password tip: The length of a password is generally a better indicator of password strength than character substitutions – the longer the password the more secure. It’s often easier to remember a phrase than password, and as long as the phrase is longer it provides better password security. For instance, a password of "TeamLuciaMarIsGreat@16" is stronger than “Pas$w0rd” by several orders of magnitude.
All logins follow the following naming scheme and work as follows:
Staff: Staff logins are <firstname>.<lastname>. For John Smith the various logins are:
Windows login: john.smith
Students: Student logins are <ID>@lmusd.org. For a student with ID 123456 the various logins are:
Windows login: 123456
Students grade K-8 cannot email in/out of the district and share documents outside the district. Students grade 9-12 can email in/out of the district and share documents outside the district.
The District’s upgraded Wi-Fi infrastructure provides additional services, performance, and improved security.
District-owned devices should automatically get new policies and connect to the correct Wireless Network (“SSID”).
Personal devices (“BYOD”) should connect to LMUSD-Wireless.
|Wireless Network (“SSID”)||Devices|
|LMUSD-Chrome||District-owned Chrome devices: District devices with correct policies will automatically connect.|
|LMUSD-DomainPC||District-owned Windows PCs: District devices with correct policies will automatically connect.|
|LMUSD-Jablko||District-owned Mac OS devices: District devices with correct policies will automatically connect.|
Personal (“BYOD”) and other devices: Personal devices need to provide a one-time device authentication. Please see below for instructions.
This SSID may also be used for District devices in case the default policies have not been applied. Upon joining the network, District devices will receive updated policies and switch to the customized SSIDs above.
Note: Only connect a district device to LMUSD-Wireless yourself if directed to do so by ITS.
To connect a device to LMUSD-Wireless a one-time registration process is required. After completing the registration, all future connections should be automatic.
Example Configurations Screens for common personal operating environments. Please see instructions above for proper use of LMUSD-Wireless.
- EAP Method: PEAP
- Phase 2 Authentication: MSCHAPV2
- CA-Certificate: (unspecified), “do not check”, or Automatic
- Identify/login: district login, i.e. typically firstname.lastname or StudentID
- Password: district password
- Examples are provided above
Gmail can be configured to default to a larger default window. Select “COMPOSE” to start a new email, click the little triangle in the lower right of the “New Message Window”, and select “Default to full-screen”. Close the “New Message” window and click “COMPOSE” again to work using the larger window.
Most Google Groups are named as follows: <School/Department>-<Who it is>
- FA-Staff is comprised of all staff at FA = Fairgrove
- CU-Staff is comprised of all staff in Curriculum
- LM-Grade3 is comprised of all teachers in the master schedule for third grade
- LM-Custodial is comprised of all custodial staff district wide.
"LM" designates a district-wide group comprised of all schools and departments in Lucia Mar.
The groups are only accurate to the extent that IT has accurate staff lists and master schedules. Please work with Human Resources if you believe a staff list is inaccurate for your school or department.
The groups/lists may be viewed by visiting Google Groups. Members of individual groups may be viewed as outlined below. A few groups are private, where membership is hidden.
Select Google Groups (1). Choose (2) "My groups" or "Browser all". For groups you are a member of (3), click "Members" to see all members. For groups you are not a member of (4) click on "You may view the list of members for this group". The actual message in (4) may vary slightly, but the ability to view a list of members remains available, except for private groups.
Emails received/sent in Exchange prior to Aug 15 2015 may be retrieved from Netmail.