Human Resources » Walk-on & Volunteer Coaches

Walk-on & Volunteer Coaches

The Human Resources department continuously seeks to hire qualified walk-on coaches, band assistants, and extra-curricular activity supervisors.

California Education Code Section 44919 requires school district to hire current certificated staff in walk-on coaching positions prior to any other individual.  If a coaching position is not filled with a LMUSD certificated employee, the position can be filled with another individual.


Information on How to Become Employed as a Coach

  1. Complete necessary application requirements on Frontline.
  2. Participate in a selection process with Athletic Directors and/or Supervisors.
  3. Human Resources will send all candidates selected for hire a new hire packet through Frontline.
  4. Submit all necessary supplemental documentation as required in the new hire process.
  5. All coaches must be fingerprinted with the Lucia Mar Unified School district. Appointments must be made online.
    • Fingerprints typically take 3-5 business days for processing time.  However, if someone has a prior conviction on his/her record it may take up to 30 days or longer.  Unexpected delays in the transmission from the Department of Justice may occur, which may further delay processing time.
  6. When all items have been completed above, your name will be submitted to the School Board for approval.

Once the School Board has approved your hire, you will be notified that you are cleared to begin working as a walk-on coach, band assistant, or extra-curricular activity supervisor.





Individuals transporting students in a personal or private vehicle must register on an annual basis with the District:

The Board of Trustees desires to provide for the safe and efficient transportation of students to and from school as necessary to ensure student access to the educational program, promote regular attendance and reduce tardiness. The extent to which the district provides for transportation services shall depend upon student and community needs and a continuing assessment of financial resources.

The district may provide transportation for students, employees, and other individuals for field trips and other school-related trips approved according to Board policy and administrative regulation. (AR 3541.1 Transportation for School-Related Trips)

Transportation by Private Vehicle:  The Superintendent or designee may authorize the transportation of students by private vehicle when the vehicle is driven by an adult age 21 or older who possesses a valid California driver's license or, if he/she is a nonresident on active military duty in California, possesses a valid license from his/her state of residence. To be approved, a driver shall have a good driving record and possess at least the minimum insurance required by law. Any person providing transportation to district students in a private vehicle shall register with the district for such purposes. (AR 3541.1 Transportation for School-Related Trips)

Having the following documents readily available when completing the form will help expedite the submission process:

- Copy of valid California Driver's License
- Copy of valid Vehicle Insurance of Personal Vehicle

This form must be completed annually in order to be considered eligible to drive students in a personal and/or district vehicle.

A copy of your responses will be automatically sent to the email address you enter in this form.


Rochelle McCarty, Human Resources Clerk
[email protected]
805-474-3000 ext. 1196